Monday, December 31, 2012

As 2012 Comes to a close.....

2012 is about to end and as I sit and reflect on all the lessons I have learned this year, all the advancements I have made in Bead Embroidery and Chainmaille, I cannot but just be amazed at how far
I have come this year.  It has been a learning experience to say the least.  I have made great friends, worked with some outstanding Bead Artists.  What more could a person ask for?

I have learned this year that marketing my beadwork is just as labor intensive as making those wonderful creations.  I did complete the setting up of my ETSY Site, came up with an acceptable inventory method to
maintain what I have in stock to math with the photographs for marketing.  I have taken Bead Embroidery to the next level and know that I shall always be enamoured with it.  I love chainmaille and will continue to explore my advancement in Chainmaille.

I did find an interesting article in the new February 2013 issue written by Stacy Werkheiser called " LOVE
Hurts".  It referenced Sherry Serafini, Diane Fitzgerald and others on how they feel about Bead Artists copying their work which is copywritten.  Sherry said it in a very understandable fashion " as always".

" Now, we all know why those people do it:  Beaders love Sherry's hot, hip statement pieces!  And of course, there's nothing wrong with making a Sherry Serafini piece for your own personal enjoyment or to give as a gift.  But when Sherry's adoring fams sell her work, it's not love that's communicated.

"It angers me and hurts!" she says.  " When an artist spends hours, days, or months creating a design or instructions and you see someone else take the credit, it is very hurtful.  Not only emotionally, but it takes food out of the mouths of my family.  This is what I do.  I have not other source of income. "

Which is why selling a piece, even if it's labeled " designed by Sherry Serafini" just isn't enough for her.  " I don't give permission for the resale of my art in any form " Sherry notes.

But the beautiful thing about Sherry is that she believes in us: " If you like beading and creating jewelry, why borrow someone else's work? " she says.  " Do your own thing, and be respectful of the people who have spent hours creating what you can take in a moment.  Give yourself more credit, and sit down and create".

I realized that my two (2 ) Sherry Serafini pieces and my Heidi piece had to go inactive on ETSY.  It would be a violation of their copywright.  WOW!  A total awakening.  I learned incredible new techniques from these artists.  It's time to put these new talents to work on my own designs.

Tomorrow I will load my final " Teapot Doll " that I just completed for Deej " Debra Peck" and a photo of my Shoe Doll Form called " Galadriel- A walk in the woods " which will mail on Wednesday.

2013 will be even better.


No comments:

Post a Comment