Sunday, February 16, 2014

2014 Florida Jewelry Artist Bead Retreat



Florida Jewelry Artist Yahoo Group Retreat 
the 7th through the 10th of February 2014

A lovely 4 day retreat held at the Walker Cottage at Advent Christian Park in Live Oak, Florida.  We had four days of wonderful classes, food and friendships renewed and new friendships made.  I taught Bead Embroidery ( Pendant ), Anne Hess taught Angels in Disquise, Genny Smith taught Chandelier Chainmaille
earrings, Maria Hormaza taught Bead Crochet and Suzanne Bang taught Soutache and Viking Knit.  Our comprable Kitchen Goddess Suzie Griffis kept us fed and happy as little snausages with homemade breakfast and luch fixings for each day.  Our Evening Chef Teams really offered a great menu and I don't believe anyone went to bed hungry.
First Row:  Deborah Apodaca, Sue Harney
Second Row: Jamie, Maria Hermoda, Genny Smith, Catherine, Anne Hess, Suzie Griffis, Sharon Beecher,
Sandy Alexander, Nancy Lambert
Third Row:  Harleen, Sharon, Suzanne, Susan Barrett, Alice Silva, Sherry Groves, Carolyn Bown,
********************************************************
I was amazed at the students in Bead Embroidery, they kept adding to their projects during each Open Class.  With two beginning Bead Embroiderer's, Rose completed her first BE project before we left.



Cabachon by Deborah Apodaca

Maria Hormaza Cabachon

I must thank Anne Hess for allowing us to streeetchhh our creativity.  I have worked with Fabric and Beadwork, but this made us step further in developing an Angel in Disquise and there was not one doll that
was alilke.  Anne also reinforced those of us that teach that we truly are Designers.  A concept that I have had a hard time acknowledging as I know I have so much still to learn.  Thank you Anne.

Now, the special reveal of all of the " Angels in Disguise ":
Catherines Angel in Disguise
Genny Smiths " Angel in Disguise"  Face Cab by Graphixoutpost on ETSY.
Suzie Griffis Angel


Deborah Apodaca Angel



Anne Hess, Genny Smith and Deborah laying out the Angels 


Genny Smith Chainmaille Class was simple but elegant with Chandelier Earrings.  We did learn to work with
chaining and the proper way to cut at different lengths for this effect.

Suzanne Bang taught Soutache which I had not worked in since the Bead Soup 2013.  I elected to do a
pendant instead of earrings and started with my Dragonfly Button.  It was fun working in Soutache but I really did miss my pin cushion.  Note to self:  Bring it next year.
I did complete the " There Be Dragons " Dragon Scale in copper but will show this on the next blog post of completed projects.  Dragonscale is a new favorite. Well actually, I don't think I have a chainmaille pattern that I do not like.

I believe the most interesting technique I learned at this retreat was using Air Dry Clay ( Crayola Clay ) and using preset molds for cabachons.  Anne Hess taught us that after the air drying was complete we could use Pearl-X and Metallic Rub ons with a tad bit of glitter to create the most beautiful pieces I have seen in a long while.


 This just adds an additional depth to cabachon's.

And then our February Retreat would not be complete without the Birthday Girls....... each year we celebrate the Birthday's of Genny Smith, Bebee Goddard and Sharon.

And finally, a big Shout Out to Suzie Griffis for our annual " Stone Crab " feast.......thank you Suzie!
They were divine.

1 comment: