Monday, May 21, 2012

Beading Daily Journal " Why We Do Not Bead.

Fascinating Article in Beading Daily that I want to share.  What are your thoughts on this?


No More Excuses: Let's Bead Something!
I have a confession to make: even though I get paid to be creative, write about beads, and come up with new beaded jewelry designs, I'm pretty good at sabotaging my own creative work. There are days when I can find a whole list of excuses to send me away from the beads, even though my fingers are itching to make some new beaded jewelry designs. And I'm sure that I'm not alone! Take a look at some of my favorite reasons not to bead, and see if they look familiar to you:

 Sound's Familiar...........

Addicted to Perfection. I strive for perfection in many areas of my life, but none so much as in my beaded jewelry. That can be both a blessing and a curse. Don't let your desire for perfection give you a reason to not to make your own beaded jewelry designs. Embrace your mistakes. I can't tell you how many times I've made a mistake that actually ended up as a beautiful piece of beaded jewelry!

Fear of Success. This might sound like a stretch, but for some people, it's very real. Some people actually fear success, particularly artistic success, because it means that they might actually be good at something they love. But really, what's the worst that could happen here?  Abandon your fears and feed your dreams when it comes to your beaded jewelry designs.

There's Nothing New to Make! This is another one of my favorite excuses for not beading my own jewelry designs! Just when I think I have a great new idea for a beaded jewelry design, it's way too easy for me to talk myself out of actually making the design if I tell myself, "Well, someone else has probably already done this before." Not so. Beaded jewelry designs are only limited by the human imagination (much like the Buddhist sand mandalas I wrote about a few weeks ago!), so let your beads tell you what to do.

My Beadwork Isn't As Good As... One way to set yourself up for failure with your beaded jewelry designs is to compare your work to that of another bead artist, particularly one that you admire. There are plenty of amazing beaded jewelry designs that are being made by artists in obscurity all around the world, including your own! Your original beaded jewelry designs are an expression of your personal experiences, and that has a value all its own!

No comments:

Post a Comment